What Happened to a Brave New World?

I'm pissed. Really pissed about today. Yes, I know this is a family blog and the majority of the time my posts are about the fun filled adventures of our crazy, extremely tough, yet filled with so much love, lives. But can't a momma have one week, one night where I turn the news on and it be something positive? I may be desperate enough to go back to the Barney days. Ummmm, scratch that. Not that desperate. How could someone so evil commit an act of violence and ruin a day that so many have trained so hard for?

Twelve hours before I turned on the television, I was curled up in a sports inspired comforter reading when I heard the cry that I had not heard for over a week. The name and badge that I am so honored to wear, "Mommy!" It was 5 am, and Baxter had realized that I had once again escaped my bed after the umpteenth time that I swore that I would not allow them to sleep in my bed. Then I give to their uber cute faces and "But please, Mommy"  "Pretty, pretty, pretty pleeeeeeease." And then for the umpteenth time I end up in the soccer room or the baseball room. But still, the search for his hand on my face and when he realized I wasn't there, "Mommy!" It happens most mornings. He's our early riser and it is absolutely my favorite time of the day where he gives me his life lessons from a four year olds perspective. He goes out to the kitchen and gets me to wrap him up like a burrito in a blanket while I make coffee and breakfast. After I shower he always shows up with his blanket and breakfast and he sits on the vanity and we talk. Deep conversations. Today I was informed that if you have a dog, and an extra chair at the table, you need to take the chair away otherwise the dog can jump up and grab the bread and SNATCH the bread and "eeeeeeeeeeat" it. And that after dinner, before you put your bathing suit on, you better go potty before sitting on your bike otherwise you might pee a little before you get to the pool. Thanks, Bax. I'll take note next time after dinner! I swear he's going to be an actor and win an Oscar for best dramatic role. He has my nomination and vote! I hope one day he will remember these mornings just as much as I live for them day to day. Tonight after the boys were in bed, the normal routines were done.  I took a look at the socks that were left on the rug. I found shoes in the pencil and paper basket and a bottle of chocolate milk in the shoe basket. Half attempt at both, but I will give credit where credit is due that there was at least an attempt. But there they were. In their beds. Safe in their beds and able to sleep without fear of what is going on outside of their safe world that we have tried to give them. I just stared at them in awe.

Where I am going with this? Someone took that beautiful gift away from someone today. How am I supposed to teach the boys to be brave in this world when I can't be brave myself?

Tonight, the socks are being left on the rug and I am crawling into the soccer bed and holding my babies extra tight. I can sleep tomorrow night, or when they are sixty.

Comments

Popular Posts