Happy Anniversary

Greg,
Here we are. April 23rd. A day in which even if I tried to remove from the calendar, my parents, best friend, and cousins (and according to Facebook, six other friends share this day as well) would attempt to kill me for taking away their special day. Yes, it’s the anniversary in which we stood in front of a congregation and said our “I do’s.”


Last night while talking to Cat, she asked, “Do I wish you a happy ‘un’anniversary tomorrow? It took me a moment to think about the question when prior to today I’ve been thinking about half birthdays and other family members birthdays. Then I realized that, for me, the mother of our children, I want to change today to the day you shared your last name with me and it made the process of having children from a legal standpoint, much easier. I want to make today about them in addition to mom & dad, Cat, Stacey, and Megan. The other six, well, they’ll get a posting on their wall, but that’s it.

We have definitely had our share of ups and downs, both while being married and now divorced, but deep down, I will always love you. This love is different from the love we once had. This love is about the gift of life and the children we created together. You were my best friend, my husband, and now and forever, till death do us part, you will always be the father of Tripp and Baxter. No one will and no one could ever take that role, that title, away from you. T & B wouldn’t allow it and neither would I. Today, I want to send that message to our children on the day we wed, to show them that they are not mistakes, they are the best decision we ever made, and to teach them about true selfless love.

Six and a half years ago (add 3 months to that for me), it was no longer about us. Now, and I will be the very first person to raise my hand and say this is the hardest thing about our divorce, when it comes to celebrating holidays, I have to continually remind myself what is best for our children. A happy family can still be a family where Mommy and Daddy are no longer together but still love and respect each other. I pray each day that I am sending the right message of balance, love and respect in the family environment that I am providing them.

Today, and every day, I want to set an example to the boys of how we are able to be both Mommy & Daddy and mature, respectable adults in this co-parenting relationship.

So Greg, tonight, the boys and I will most likely raise a plastic cup that embraces some superhero on the outside with chocolate milk on the inside and we will say “Cheers” to the fantastic children that we both share and love so very much.

Greg, Happy Anniversary.

Love,

Amy

Comments

Popular Posts