Oh What a Night

I can tell you that the last time that I made reference to that song was certainly not an evening in which I spent it in a funeral home for three hours, but oh what a night it was. Tonight, my family and I watched a procession line that went out onto Main Street of our small town for more than two hours. At one point, my dad said, "These people can't all be for daddy." But they were. For a man that was loved, respected, and admired by people all over.

We were told that we could go into the funeral home at anytime and visit Granddad, so this morning after dropping the boys, that is exactly where I went. I knew that this afternoon would be different with the boys by my side and family and friends around. He looked perfect, wearing the same watch that he seemed to have worn for the past 30 years and holding in his hands a small box from his shop. So fitting and so very special.

I scooped the boys right after the bell rang and took them through the McDonald's drive thru for an ice cream cone and headed to the park. No, not to play. To talk. To explain to them what tonight was about and what they were going to see. They know the word death and that dying is something that happens. They go to a Christian school and we just celebrated a pretty significant holiday. They know it, but did they really get it? Well, they were getting it tonight whether they were ready at four and six, they were going to see Great Granddaddy in a different way than they saw him last week.

The family was scheduled to receive friends at 6 pm, so I made sure we got there at 5:30 so they could ask all the questions they could. They embraced their Great Granddaddy. Confused? Absolutely. Questions? I stopped counting after 36. Scared? Not one bit. For two more hours, I would turn my head to see my boys doing exactly this.

Bax found another friend about his size to entertain him, while I watched Tripp continue to go back to his Great Granddaddy. Yes, I ran to the pew, reached in my purse to grab my phone as quick as I could and snapped the pic. It was beautiful to me to watch my six year old, the one who at times sits on his brother until Bax has no other choice than to yell "Mercy" to be holding a cold hand and rubbing his great grandfathers head. Simply amazing in a mothers eyes.

I went to him, knelt down, and asked my questions. Are you ok?..Yes. Are you sad?...Yes.  Do you want to tell him anything?...Like what? Can he hear me? Do you have any questions?...Yes, why does he have so much hair in his nose and ears? To which I stood up and said, "Your granddaddy can answer that one for you and I'm sure he would appreciate it very much."

The other half of our family showed up and to much of my eyes surprise, the Hot Momma got a new do for accomplishing being a rockstar mom for one year. And of course, I couldn't keep my hands and lips off my beautiful niece. Bryan & Jessie, please move home!!!

After the line dwindled and our monsters within got larger, we headed down to Joes where the grandkids, spouses and signficant others and now with our own kids had a reunion while our parents finished up at the funeral home. Mom and Dad and Uncle Jr. & Judy showed up later, but somehow I think that the Ellie & Nick might have had something to do with it, not us!! Grandkids can be the best bribery sometimes! 

Bry, I think that pink is a good color on you!

As the night went on, I realized that I had a six and a half year old asleep in my arms. We needed to get home. Tomorrow was going to be long and hard and the MAC counter doesn't have enough coverup for four nights of little sleep and dealing with cranky kids graveside is something that I will wait to check off my list of Must NOT to do in life.

Comments

Popular Posts