Mother's Day Weekend 2013

Hands down this weekend was the best weekend I have had in years. As you can see from the previous posts, we have had a jam packed weekend from music and pizza on Friday with friends to haircuts and photo shoots and a baseball game on Saturday, and pure bliss on Sunday with breakfast in bed, to a Mother's Day circus, and topping it all off with dinner at Ahma and Granddaddy's where I literally almost fell face first into my plate. Whew...what a weekend!!

Mother's Day weekend was kicked off on Friday evening as we headed East to hear some music, do a little dancing, eat every variety of pizza, and topped our night off with a mad dash in the pouring rain to our car! We missed our calling for burgers and settled for Christian's pizza. Now that's a pizza place I could get used to!  While sitting outside, the wind started to pick up and the clouds took cover. I warned the boys to be ready and I wasn't kidding when I said, "When I say run, you run!" No less than a minute from taking our last bites, "here came the rain again" and we were calling it a night. A great night to kick off momma's weekend.

Saturday morning consisted of this and that and odds and ends. We ran into Granddaddy at the post office while mailing off Jessie's birthday gift (We hope you like it!) and a dine and dash at the cafe.

The boys needed a haircut, so off we went. Terrible planning on my part since I didn't realize that it was a prom weekend and I found myself sitting amongst teenaged girls all dolled up and my two boys as bookends getting their haircuts and I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror wearing a Virginia Tech sweatshirt and baseball cap thinking, "What is wrong with this picture?"  A four and six year old boys getting pampered!

The high school girls were being smitten by this face. He told them all how pretty their hair was and they even said they would rather go with him to the prom. I had to kindly decline their offer and told them that he already had a date with a much older woman.
Don't even get too comfortable with this, Tripp!


I didn't even realize that the thirty minutes that we were in the salon that it rained until I went to sit in the car. Epic failure. Wet bums all around as we headed home to a small mini photo session where I will cherish the pics for years, even decades.


The rivalry between Towson vs. JMU was going on in Harrisonburg Saturday night and we had been given tickets to see the fight! First up, an Amy and Duke roll to get this family rolling to the baseball fields. We stopped off at Beyond for sushi prior to the game.



Amy Roll!
On more than one occassion I was reminded of the reason for this Mother's Day Hallmark celebration. As we ate our edamame and sipped on our beverage of choice, Baxter spied a pigeon.

"A pagan!! A pagan!!"
I wanted to hide under the table as fast as he was screaming as we were sitting outside in downtown Harrisonburg, knowing well and good that there could very well in fact be some "pagans" of sorts around us.
"Oh my, Bax. Where?" A pagan, are you sure?"
"Yea, mommy, look. On top of the building. A pagan."

Immediately I spotted the "pagan" as he or she was perched on top of the building in all it's pigeoness glory. Tripp interjected and in his matter of fact, I'm two years older voice, "It's a pigeon, not a pagan."

This went back in forth for thirty seconds which seemed like thirty minutes until I said, "Guys, chill. No big deal. The penguin is just waiting for his dinner."

My boys are hands down two of the happiest kids I know. Yet I haven't heard the belly laughs in quite some time. From hearing the word penguin, the laughs were unstoppable. But they were the laughs that I had falling so head over heals in love with almost seven years ago. Mother's Day gift 2013, done!




The night at Eagle Field was made to order. Perfect weather, perfect company, perfect score!

Sunday morning I stayed in bed until it was medically necessary to get out. Around 7:15 I heard:

"Trippy, you need to get up. You neeeeed to. You are six and I am four and I don't know how to cook. Get. Up. Now. Trippy!"

I tried to keep my laugh as silent as possible while really wanting to watch the adventure that unfolded in the kitchen. Mr. Calm and collected T.P. took control of the situation and pulled everything together and made me one happy momma. Tripp even delivered one tray before going back to save Baxter and the falling cards off the tray.



Remember I said, "medically necessary." Yes, donut crumbs in my bed are a must for instant evacuation in my bed. After the first I was ok. After the second, my heart was beating much faster. After the third, all boys over under the age of seven were OUT!

On our way up north, we stopped and had a necessary mommy mini moment. As we waited for my HM-LT latte, I couldn't help but have my own little mini moment as I saw my mini me bellied up to the counter waiting for his white hot chocolate. Yes,  I love coffee. I think that has been well established by my ripe age of five. However, to me, it's not just about the art of sipping on a delish cup of joe. It's also about the company and conversation that accompanies the beverage. I hope and pray that the boys will call me up often to have coffee with me.





I missed the majority of the circus as I just stared at the boys and how they lit up with excitement. At the end of an act, Bax would jump up from the edge of his seat, stand up and clap, and then look at me with that smile and say, "thank you for bringing us to the circus, mommy. You're the best ever." After pulling myself back together from a melted state, I would get the same from Tripp. 

Starbucks latte: $5.35 instant debit from app. VIP Circus tickets: $47. Intermission popcorn, drinks, and cotton candy: $20. Unlimited hugs, kisses, thank you's and I love you's: PRICELESS!!

After the circus we headed home to my own momma, b ut first we needed an apple. Tripp has a tooth that is within days of falling out. I told him that we would get a candy apple if they had one, but to much of my own luck, we struck out. So we stopped at Wegman's on our way out of Leesburg with an apple in each of our hands. The boys decided to eat down to the core to get the seeds to plant apple trees in the yard. Heck yea, I said! The conversation that continued made me wish I had a voice recorder for these moments to play back to each one of the girlfriends that came home! How a four and six year old turn apple seeds to booger seeds and worry about stores closing and then we would have to eat booger pies and booger sandwiches is so beyond me. How? Here I am thinking my boys are going to be the political figure talking about planting their apple trees to...boogers. Yes, boogers. Boys. Can't your momma have one day without...nevermind. I don't want one day without it. Ever.

As we pulled into the driveway, my father greeted me at the car. My father. To embrace me and wish me a Happy Mother's Day...dad, you rock. Always have, always will. Oh, and when I looked at you as I exited the vehicle and said, "They're all yours." Thank you. Thank you for that game of uno with Tripp. Thank you for nature walk with Bax while I had a mommy time out. Thank you!



Mother's Day 2013 has offically come to an end. Tomorrow we will wake up and school will be back in session and the demands of work and life will continue.

I'll close this weekend with the song that came on as we pulled into the circus. Not only hearing, but watching my boys belt out their lungs and voices to "Don't Stop Believing" confirmed that we are on this life's journey together and I wouldn't have it any other way.



Onward Moms and Mr. Moms.

A.P.

Comments

Popular Posts