Memorial Day Weekend 2013

We hope that everyone had a safe and happy, relaxing, recharging Memorial Day Weekend.

While the boys were having pizza and sleepovers with Mom-Mom and their cousins in the Valley, I headed up to DC with the girls to see a show. Afterwards we took some recommendations for dinner and chose a small Spanish restaurant where we laughed until we cried over stories, tapas, and sangria. We stayed until the staff told us that they had to go home! 

The next morning consisted of successful bridesmaid dress shopping for my cousin Jennifer and her girls. I'm not sure my count is up to 27, but perhaps I am becoming somewhat of a professional, or the process is becoming much simplier, but it was the shortest, easiest, bridesmaid dress shopping that I have done in my years of standing beside my closest friends and family members.


The "Pool Boys" were in great hands with Mom-Mom. I got pictures of skateboarding, hop-skotch, baseball with the cousins, and pics by the pool after Baxter slipped in!

Mom-Mom and her boys.

After I scooped the boys, we got some energy out with a walk around campus before our mini weekend getaway.  


I put the address in the GPS, checked the weather, and looked at my precious cargo in the backseat and they were sound asleep before even getting on the interstate. I didn't even have to set up the DVD player. I set the station on Pandora and we were on our way. First stop...National Harbor!

What I love about living in the valley is that we are so close to so many things with history, culture, different tastes, live music, and lots not to mention, FUN!


It was a pretty chilly morning on the water, but the boys were cuddled up with some stuffed animals that we had brought to donate for the children that lost their homes and toys due to the tornado in Oklahoma.



Unlimited carrousel rides? Yes, please!




Mike the Knight made a special appearance with a show at the harbor. Afterwards he gave the members of the audience a sword and certificate.


Afterwards we headed towards Arlington where I wanted to give the boys a lesson in what Memorial Day was really all about. Selfishly, it was also one way for me to visit my grandparents graveside in which I had not been in over a decade. The weather had warmed up significantly and the boys filled up their lunch tank at Metro 29 in Arlington so there were no complaints from the "giraffe" and "tiger."




It is so hard to believe that next year it will be 20 years since she was taken from us. I remember every detail as if it was yesterday.



As we got closer and closer to the Capital, we didn't realize that there was a Memorial Day concert getting ready to take place on the east side. We decided upon EATbar for dinner...delish, delish, delish and I had two very tired, very exhausted little boys on the metro back to the hotel.

While they slept, I had one last surprise for them when they woke up. Baxter had eyed this set back in March and when I knew we were going to the game, I had to get the team sets for both boys doing a job well done on the 2012-2013 school year.


Next morning the boys were jumping at the bit to swim first thing. Since the game wasn't until 1 pm, we had plenty of time to spare.

The pool boys eyes were glowing!

We quickly got dressed and fueled up for a long day of exploring and cheering!
First stop, Foggy Bottom.





The squirrel was eating a street vendor leftover hotdog!
 

World War II Memorial



Around noon we headed over to the stadium. As we walked in amongst the 41,260 other fans that soldout the seats, there were soldiers everywhere. The boys were saluting them as they saw them. So precious.

We had great seats. Diagonal from the 1st base. Foul balls were all around us, including one being caught two down from Tripp.  






We had an amazing weekend. I was able to give the boys a lesson about giving to those less fortunate with the Teddy Bear drive, a lesson in history, not only with their great grandparents, but also the reason for Memorial Day. The fifty Rolling Thunder members at breakfast this morning gave them a completely different lesson with their "Look at me" shirts and bikes lined up in front of the hotel. And last, our O's won 6-2! As we pulled into the house, we looked above and there she was...greeting us home!


Happy Memorial Day 2013!

By the way, I realized today when I maxed out the media card on the camera and then tonight when trying to decide on which pictures out of the 200 that I took over the weekend, that I am going to start adding the pics to an online album. There are just too many to choose from.

Comments

Popular Posts