Ready for Takeoff

Or am I? I know the boys have everything they need for the next week and first day of school. I have packed efficiently based on recommendations from peers that spent the last week in Copenhagen. 

Times like these when I board a flight to leave my loved ones behind, I think back to all the "talks" that mom and dad have had with me on "what if?" I stop them mid sentence, just like I did this morning as they are about to take on their own trip of a lifetime when I return. "STOP! I don't want to hear it. You will come back and I won't need to know about that folder or that key or..." Ignorance is complete bliss. Or is it my complete naïve-ness that makes me believe that nothing bad will happen to us and that I will continue to live every day to the fullest with the ones that I love so much. 

But this time I'm sitting in the passenger seat on this massive charter flight holding onto pieces of the boys "nigh-nies" that they have been sleeping with since their flight of life. Over the past six years I have come to find my own sense of security in their blankets and before loading up the car today, the boys gave me the most priceless carry on I could ask for.  Frayed beautiful pieces of their nigh-ny. 


Yes, I'm a bit emotional. I'm coming off the big high of my birthday week and taking off to a foreign land. I'm am beyond excited but sad at the same time. I have been raising these boys, watching them walk through the doors at Valley for the past three plus years and I'm going to miss the first day of 2nd grade and kindergarten. I know and trust in my heart they are in great hands, but I'm momma. What if I don't get to "make-up" MY first day of 2nd grade and kindergarten?  Perhaps it's also the lack of sleep that I have had this week gearing up for the following week and it is currently 10 pm and the pilot is about to announce "Flight attendants, prepare for take off."

So boys, this ones for you. "In the event...(and there won't be one)...even when you can't see me, remember, never, ever, forget I love you all the time. To the moon and back. Always and forever."

Love, Momma

Comments

Popular Posts