Its Fair Week!!

Nearly ever county across America has a county fair, but when it's your county fair it's a pretty big deal. And let me tell you, if you are from, lived, visited ShenCo, the Shenandoah County Fair is something you just don't miss. You just don't. It's like the first day of hunting season...it's a holiday in these here parts of Good ole' 'ginia!  

Growing up, to me, the fair meant school was starting the following week and you got to wear all of your brand new back to school clothes to one huge party all week long. You would walk the midway beginning to end at least twenty times a night stopping every fifty feet or so to talk to a friend or family member. You never needed to tell your parents where you were or what you were doing because their friends would see you and tell them where you were. Or if you really needed them for more cash for that ride or funnel cake, you knew exactly where to find them. 

It is the true essence of country life and I love that I am now getting to witness the next generation experience this same incredible small town tradition. 

I will never forget my first time taking Tripp to the fair. He was almost two. I guess you could say that Bax was along for the ride in utero being seven months pregnant.  But to see him in my element was surreal. To watch him eat a shaffers BBQ chicken, share a funnel cake, and eat a grapenut ice cream cone while walking through the dairy barn and livestock buildings, it was awesome. 

This weekend I was given one more birthday gift (remember, I celebrate birth "month") before boarding a flight and got to kick off the fair week festivities with again my favorite people. 






Grapenut. Somehow, someway, you can turn a terrible cereal into the best tasting ice cream ever!! Hands down, my favorite  flavor. 


Greased Pig Scrambler Saturday morning. 



See us up there?!



Next generation being brought up on BBQ. 


Twenty years ago my friends could get me to do anything. And to this day, the same pretty much holds true, except i would not get on the bull machine this year. I would walk through the midway pinching all the boys behinds. So tonight as we were making another walk through I was not prepared to be the one grabbed around the waist and surprised by one of my coworkers! "Bubba" is in a bluegrass band and they were playing at our fair. So we placed an order for fried oreos, grabbed a hay bail, and listened to some good ole bluegrass! 



So long fair. Till next time this year.  

Comments

Popular Posts