The Hook Will Bring You Back

 The members of Blues Travelers said it best, "The Hook brings you back" and in a roundabout way, it certainly did. Almost ten years ago, I took my first pharma job in Charlottesville and fell in love with the beauty of the city and all of its surroundings. When Tripp was six months old we moved to Baltimore and up until August 6, 2012 I had not been back except to hear the Avett's under the pavilion and to see Matt & Yesi say, "I Do."

For over a year, I have returned to my original pill pushing territory and after the longest debate with me, myself, and my driver side car seat, I have decided to turn in about an hour and forty minutes one way to spend that time with either my customers or my children and move to Hooville. Since February we have spent at least one weekend a month exploring the town and everything that it has to offer.  In July, we looked at what seemed like 50 homes until we settled on a pile of dirt and started from scratch. I am beyond thrilled about the possibilities that await us in this perfect little city we now call "Home Sweet Home."


A Top-Ranked City
No. 1 City in America, Frommer's "Cities Ranked and Rated"

In 2004, the Charlottesville metropolitan area, encompassing the city and Albemarle, Fluvanna, Greene and Nelson counties, beat out 402 other metro areas in the United States and Canada to claim the title in Frommer's "Cities Ranked and Rated," authored by Bert Sperling and Peter Sander. Charlottesville was commended for its low unemployment and crime rates, good health care, temperate climate and cultural amenities. (The Daily Progress)
Other rankings include:
•No. 4 Best (Small) City for Working Women, 2013 More

•No. 4 Best Place to Live in the Country, Kiplinger's Magazine, 2009
•No. 18 Safest Mid-Sized Cities in the Country (populations between 150,000 and 500,00)
•Money Magazine: Best Places to Live

•Outside Magazine: One of the Best Places To Be Found 1995 and 1999, also one of Seven Dream Towns That Have It All, Best Town to Live 2006, 2008

•No. 2 Healthiest Place to Live in America, Kiplinger's Personal Finance

•Top Ten Places in the Country to Raise a Family, #7 out of 50, Reader's Digest

•Top Ten Healthiest Cities for Women, #6, American Health

•No. 1 Best Tennis Town, Tennis Magazine

•Best Trail Running, Outside Magazine, 2006

•Best Place to Relocate, Relocate America, 2006

•100 Best Places to Live, Money Magazine, August 2004

•Best Places to Work, Business Journal, June 2005

•In 2003 Outside magazine enlisted undergrad reporters to help its staff come up with "The 40 Best College Towns: The Coolest Places to Work, Play, Study, Party and Live." Charlottesville was ranked eighth for its beauty, good music scene, culinary perks, Jeffersonian influences and swanky wineries.


On Baxters birthday, I had my first of many cups of coffee on our back deck. 

November 15th, 2013 the boys and I took possession of our perfect space.

Our first night in the house we had a camp out in front of the fireplace since the only furniture we had was a blow up mattress and a cowhide rug.






Things I will miss the most:

My parents three miles away. My father who is an instrumental influence on raising them to become men. My mother who is my therapist. My sounding board. My forever cheerleader that without her, I would never have been able to make this dream come true. 

Most of all, these two. 
My "in case of emergency" call these two. The truest friends a woman could only imagine to have. Girls, please promise to visit often!

Come to Paynterville, the town formerly known as Charlottesville!

Comments

Popular Posts