Lucky #8

As I sit here tonight, thinking of our lunch together at school with your friends, dinner tonight with our family, my heart is overflowing with joy. Eight years ago today I was more than blessed to have you come into my life, filling me with so much love.


Tripp, you are my weakness but also my strength. To say it’s been easy, would be a lie You have challenged me, but have strengthened me all at the same time. Throughout this journey, the most wonderful journey, you have taught me the importance of understanding. At times we have agreed to disagree. I have had to be hard on you at times and I know you haven’t always understood or liked it. But you have been strong, incredible, always smiling and teaching me that no matter what we can do things if we do them together.

This past year I have watched you grow into this maturing young man that you are. It’s been a blessing and beautiful gift to walk, ok run, by your side, and watch as you explore your ever changing world. In some ways you haven't changed much in the last year; you still love Legos and soccer more than anything. You are constantly drawing pictures and creating worlds. Your most recent things are the paper fortune tellers and paper airplanes. I find at least five airplanes in my car a day and ten in the house. I have asked you more times than you are old to not turn your homework into an airplane, but maybe that will happen at nine. You are still affectionate and smarter than you allow others to know. But momma knows best. In other ways, though, you've really evolved. You are starting to get “it.”

I know at 8 years old, you don’t understand why I am at times so hard on you and push you to do your best. I didn’t understand it at 18 years old when my parents were the same way. It is my job, as your mom, to do my best to guide you through these moments. If everything was to be easy for you, you would be ill-prepared for the ‘real’ world.  I promise you, life is not always easy.It’s only because I want the best for you and I see this strong, determined young man that is going to go so far. Not that I want the next ten years to fly by, because I want the exact opposite, but I am your mother and get disappointed when I receive a phone call on a Friday afternoon about your behavior from your teacher. I could hear your tears in the background and knew you were prepared for the consequences. I didn’t have to discipline you. You are learning my wise one. I am just trying to help you in the right direction. Today you manage homework and activities easily. You have received an ipad for your birthday and enjoy Youtubing drawing activities, watching music videos, and looking up words on the dictionary app. You enjoy reading when I ask you to read to me while making dinner. Even after the dinner is over and I’m cleaning up the kitchen, I find you still on the bench reading and laughing throughout the chapters and it makes my heart warm.

I am so lucky that I get to be your momma. You are so kind to others and your brother is your best friend in the world. You have learned the hard way with 6 am homework session to be responsible about getting your homework done and remembering what you need for your activities.

Your favorite thing at school is recess because of your love for socialization and being with your friends, but also love for any competitive game on the field. Your teachers and other aides tell me that they always know when Tripp is coming because they hear the soccer ball.

As competitive as you are, you are also one of the most kind hearted little men I know. You put your arm around me and look up for a kiss followed by an “I love you.” I wish for the kind heart I see in you at 8 to say firmly in place forever. Keep it, nurture it, handle it with care.  Don’t ever let anyone tell you that you are too sensitive. You are the first to hold Baxter's hand when he is scared, the first to run for the ice pack or the first-aid kit when someone is hurt.  The best part of my day is sitting at the dinner table hearing you and your brother's roses & thorns, then you look at me and say, “Mommy, how was YOUR day?”  I couldn’t live without your affection and kindness.

Sometimes your questions get pushed to the back burner being the oldest and so independent. I might seem distracted with work, with your brother, with cleaning or driving. I might not listen to you as closely as I should or stop what I’m doing to pay attention to you fully. I am sorry for that. Even after eight years I am still learning. But I want you to know that you matter. That our family wouldn’t be complete without you. That I wouldn’t be complete without you.









 It seems like just yesterday you were that little boy in the picture above. But now you're this amazing 8 year old.

It is late and you have been asleep for some time now and even after 2,920 nights of your head hitting the pillow and your eyes drifting to sleep, I still find myself in complete awe of you and watch you sleeping so peacefully. I know your dreams are on a grander scale at 8 compared to 8 months sleeping away in a big bed compared to a crib, but to me, my dreams for you are larger than life. Happy 8th birthday, lovebug, Trippy, T-Bone…mommy loves you to…well, you know, that beautiful Charlottesville full moon and back.

Comments

Popular Posts