Baxter Bryant Paynter Has Arrived

Greg and I went to GBMC at 9 am for what we thought was going to be our last prenatal appointment with Dr. Margaret Cyzesky. She did her regular routine of checking his heart rate, measuring my stomach, and asking the question, “Are you feeling the baby move a lot?” To that question, I answered, “Actually, no. There’s not much more room for him to move around and I’m constantly contracting.” So we headed down to the Labor and Delivery Suites for our third non stress test in the past three weeks to make sure everything was okay. While we were walking across the hospital Greg was asking me what I wanted for my last dinner on Sunday night and I apologized for not keeping my mouth shut in the doctors’ office so we didn’t have to go get hooked up to the monitor for another 20-30 minutes.

We got down to the L & D suites around 9:45 am and got hooked up to the monitor. I sent Greg to get me a much needed cup of coffee and muffin and began to read a parenting magazine. I was still dressed in my jeans and t-shirt and I was watching the contractions go up and Baxter’s heart rate go down. A bit of déjà vu from two years and five days ago. Greg walked in with my muffin and coffee and just as I was about to take a big bite, the nurse walked in and said, “You can’t eat that, we might be having a baby today.” At this point they made me get undressed in the lovely hospital gown to get more comfortable. How comfortable can something be when your behind is hanging out??

We continued to stay on the monitor for another half an hour and Greg entertained me and himself by dancing to Baxter’s heart rate. My contractions continued (like they had been for the past month) and Baxter’s heart rate had stabilized. Greg said, “I’m no doctor, but we’re going home today.”

Little did he know that at 10:50 the nurses would be wheeling me into a prep room in the event that we would be going into the operating room. I continued to read my magazine and Greg was little more entertained in this room by watching ESPN. I continued to contract and started to find myself getting very uncomfortable. I went from not being in labor to being in full blown labor within a half an hour. My contractions were lasting seven minutes long and were getting very strong. I was having to pee all the time because of the pressure, so they put a catheter in so I wouldn’t have to get up and down which would lead to more contractions. They gave me medicine to stop the contractions and about five minutes later, I questioned the nurses’ ability to put a catheter in correctly because I had just peed all over myself. She looked at the bag and told me that I was definitely peeing in the bag. They pulled my sheet off and said, “Honey, your water just broke.” At that point, Dr. Khouzami walked in and very nonchalantly said, “Looks like we’re having a baby today.” I looked at Greg and he said, “I’ll go make some phone calls.”

Within a half an hour, Baxter Bryant was born at 11:54 am. The moment I heard his cry, instant tears came to my eyes. Without seeing him, I knew I loved him. I knew I would do anything for him to keep him safe. I looked at Greg and those same tears were streaming down his face. I squeezed his hand and told him to go be with our boy. He jumped up and ran to make his first introduction with his new son.
Baxter weighed in at 7 lbs. 8.6 oz and is 20 1/2 inches long!

God is so amazing in his work and I cannot thank him for this unbelievable gift he has given Greg and I. Baxter is perfect in so many ways. He is a product of Greg’s and my love for one another.




Comments

Congrats guys! He's gorgeous!

Popular Posts